Moonman #29

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 Off. Jack Batemaster

Off. Jack Batemaster

Punis Semaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,644 posts
  • Interests:- The WAR against OPIE and his axis of evil.<br><br>- President of the Czeckerland Filterated Czeckerland Xit Club.

Posted 09 February 2004 - 12:28 PM

And how is it?
The more Black Lickerish Tasting Crap changes, the more Black Lickerish Tasting Crap tastes like Black Lickerish.

Where the fuck is ATown?

#2 sixela

sixela

The Awful Waffle

• Forom Eykun
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts
  • Interests:Wife'n'kids
    Argentine Tango (Piazolla)
    Corto Maltese
    Rock Climbing (alas, more indoor than outdoor these days)Windsurfing (once a year until the kids grow up)Bioinformatics
    Molecular Modeling
    Trekkie (when regressing)
    JRR Tolkien's Silmarillion, Hobbit & LOTR
    Operating System with cartoonesque fairy penguin logo

Posted 17 February 2004 - 01:46 PM

Dunno.

#30 has landed, though.

Good, but not as crisp and fragrant as the Pignon et l'Épée sample a kind soul :wave: sent me (which has to be the best Verte I've ever tasted to date).

Revertnig back to MM#30: slightly grassy taste; lots of wormwood (which almost masks the anise, if it were not for the obvious presence of bucketloads of anethole), not that much fennel, probably quite a lot of hyssop (but how *does* one recognize the contribution of hyssop precisely?).

It's rumoured to have melissa in the macerate, but I doubt it has made the same kind of contribution melissa in the colouration phase makes. No hint of the melissa in the taste I seem to recognize in other products.

The alcohol base is very good - it's obviously got some wine alcohol in its base, but not enough to make a buttery sweet sherry/vinegar taste invade the absinthe.

Edited by sixela, 17 February 2004 - 02:00 PM.

#3 lambchop

lambchop

Lulu

• Forum Icon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • Interests:Bourbon<br>Bed-making (you make your own)<br>Row-hoeing (you hoe your own)<br>Grave-digging (you dig your own)<br>Absinthe, of course

Posted 17 February 2004 - 01:53 PM

:wave:
hee hee!
Told you it was Tha Bomb Shit.
domo arigato

(mister roboto)

#4 Rimbaud

Rimbaud

Clown ear, or mere buggery? That is the question!

• Jockeys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,319 posts
  • Interests:Spanning time.<br /><br />Designing shit.

Posted 17 February 2004 - 02:09 PM

Yep.

There's sometimes a buggy.

#5 Porkio

Porkio

Lounge Lizard

• Jockeys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts
  • Interests:wasting time

Posted 17 February 2004 - 02:10 PM

(but how *does* one recognize the contribution of hyssop precisely?).

Hyssop makes absinthe a deep emerald green colour when used in the colouring/2nd flavouring step. If one uses the flowers only, the effect is even more intense and the fragrance is pronounced. Hyssop's flavour contribution to the distillation step is tough to describe, but one could call it "grassy" or "spicey". Too much hyssop in the colouring definitely makes it taste "grassy".

Lemonbalm, when used in the distillation step (original Pernod Fils did this), creates a nice bridge between the anise/fennel and the wormwood. It has non-piquant citrusy flavour that seems to tie everything together.

And yes, the Pignon is awesome. It has quite a unique and large flavour profile. I like that oakiness.

#6 sixela

sixela

The Awful Waffle

• Forom Eykun
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts
    Corto Maltese
    Rock Climbing (alas, more indoor than outdoor these days)Windsurfing (once a year until the kids grow up)Bioinformatics
    Molecular Modeling

Posted 17 February 2004 - 02:32 PM

Hyssop makes absinthe a deep emerald green colour when used in the colouring/2nd flavouring step.

Ah -- forgot to mention that the colour and louche of MM#30 is just AWESOME!

With all that you've said, I'd probably vote for it having slightly too much hyssop - I'm wondering if more educated palates will concur once they have a chance to taste it.

Tasting it once more today, I've noticed that it's better with very cold water -- it's slightly crisper than with my 8 degrees C water I used yesterday, and there's less of that grassy taste.

A second thing I'm wondering about is a slight "bite" (also less noticeable with very cold water).

Can't believe it's star anise (which is what I took a similar property to be in Abisinthe Lemercier -- the regular one, not the new "enhanced" pork ribs one), and I don't think it's a side-effect of the alcohol heat, but what can it be?

Edited by sixela, 17 February 2004 - 02:33 PM.

#7 Porkio

Porkio

Lounge Lizard

• Jockeys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 02:43 PM

Angelica seeds can lend a bite to absinthe. However, from what I remember of Moonman's email regarding #30, it has no Angelica seeds. I'm pretty that sharpness would come from an emphasis on the Hyssop.

I'm sure Moon#30 isn't as sharp as Nephilim's stuff though, which was the Hyssop Bomb™. Yummy, but it's the spiciest absinthe I've ever had.

#8 Off. Jack Batemaster

Off. Jack Batemaster

Punis Semaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,644 posts
  • Interests:- The WAR against OPIE and his axis of evil.&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;- President of the Czeckerland Filterated Czeckerland Xit Club.

Posted 17 February 2004 - 03:00 PM

My Ricola Lemon-Mint cough drop says (en Francais) that it's Citron-Melisse flavoured. It includes the following ingredients: lemon balm, elder, horehound, hyssop, linden flowers, mallow, peppermint, sage, thyme. No wonder I've been tripping Balz™ for the past two days.
The more Black Lickerish Tasting Crap changes, the more Black Lickerish Tasting Crap tastes like Black Lickerish.

Where the fuck is ATown?

#9 Le Gimp

Le Gimp

Spuck Fellcheck

• Forum Icon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Cartridge Firearms from 1860-1896, Absinthe (like no one else around here is interested in it), Cooking, especially smoked pork and salmon, gardening.<br /><br />Finished my beer barrel smoker. Works great.

Posted 17 February 2004 - 04:47 PM

Hyssop makes absinthe a deep emerald green colour when used in the colouring/2nd flavouring step. If one uses the flowers only, the effect is even more intense and the fragrance is pronounced. Hyssop's flavour contribution to the distillation step is tough to describe, but one could call it "grassy" or "spicey". Too much hyssop in the colouring definitely makes it taste "grassy".

Lemonbalm, when used in the distillation step (original Pernod Fils did this), creates a nice bridge between the anise/fennel and the wormwood. It has non-piquant citrusy flavour that seems to tie everything together.

And yes, the Pignon is awesome. It has quite a unique and large flavour profile. I like that oakiness.

Interesting. I had some HG that had something like 25gr of hyssops in teh maceration for the 750ml bottle. It had a very flowery perfume like aroma/flavor which I was thinking was due to the hussops. If not the hyssops, I wonder what it was?
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

#10 Off. Jack Batemaster

Off. Jack Batemaster

Punis Semaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,644 posts
  • Interests:- The WAR against OPIE and his axis of evil.&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;- President of the Czeckerland Filterated Czeckerland Xit Club.

Posted 17 February 2004 - 04:49 PM

Was it 25g of herb, or flower?

Where the fuck is ATown?

#11 Le Gimp

Le Gimp

Spuck Fellcheck

• Forum Icon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Cartridge Firearms from 1860-1896, Absinthe (like no one else around here is interested in it), Cooking, especially smoked pork and salmon, gardening.<br /><br />Finished my beer barrel smoker. Works great.

Posted 17 February 2004 - 04:56 PM

Herb, about 25% flowers in it I think.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

#12 Off. Jack Batemaster

Off. Jack Batemaster

Punis Semaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,644 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 04:58 PM

Probably not the hyssop then. Grassinthe.

Where the fuck is ATown?

#13 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Misunderstood Pimp

• Horses Asses - A Horses Ass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 07:05 PM

There's a lot more melissa in #30 than usual, much more melissa than hyssop.

We could call #30 the "melissa experiment".

Not my favorite R&D test, I prefer more hyssop and less melissa like in the #29 and every "vertelune" batches.

In fact the vertelune was composed based on the results of the 29-31 experiments...

Moonman appreciate the comments anyway.

#14 sixela

sixela

The Awful Waffle

• Forom Eykun
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts
    Corto Maltese
    Molecular Modeling

Posted 18 February 2004 - 02:06 AM

Strange -- there's no "lemoney" quality to it, but it's rather grassy - not what I'd expect melissa to yield.

It looks like tons of melissa in the macerate can achieve wierd results.

Not my favourite R&D sample either -- but still pretty good, if a bit of an acquired taste. Still miles ahead of any commercial product (and of one non-MM HG I've tasted).

Edited by sixela, 18 February 2004 - 02:07 AM.

#15 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Misunderstood Pimp

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 04:30 AM

You'r right that the taste of a macerated herb (coloration) can be very different than the taste of an herb used pre-distillation.

#16 DrinkSlinger

DrinkSlinger

Stupid Dumb Dinky

• Admin
  • -8,383,683 posts
  • Interests:Enlightenment... and living like there's no 2010.

Posted 21 February 2004 - 05:55 AM

post?
for some people, there's money in absinthe. And for some, there's only absinthe in absinthe.

#17 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Misunderstood Pimp

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 12:55 PM

pre-dist. and post-dist can taste different ;-).

#18 DrinkSlinger

DrinkSlinger

Stupid Dumb Dinky

• Admin
  • -8,383,683 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 02:21 PM

Next time I'lll try drinking a cup of coffee before reading anything...
:yes:
for some people, there's money in absinthe. And for some, there's only absinthe in absinthe.

#19 lalouche

lalouche

FNG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 11:57 PM

Has anyone gotten #31 yet? I'm stil waiting (and hoping it's worth the wait).

#20 louchefabrik

louchefabrik

The Fabrick of our Lives

• Jockeys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Location:The Hogtown Compound on Landlocked Key,FL, in the Land of the Lemmings
  • Interests:Finding a good,authentic traditional style Absinthe. Love trying as many HG's as my wallet will let me. Anyone with HG's out there, shoot me a PM. Collecting antique absintheware.

Posted 07 March 2004 - 08:23 AM

Nope, I'm waiting too! :wall:

Fortunately, I have 29 to hold me over( also 26, and a lil'22&23) :pour:
(..and not to forget those fine products of a few other HGer's out there ( Swizzle',Felix,ET10, and Piggy Verte :clap: :yes: :clap: )!

Talk about seeing a change! There is a definate evolution in the product from 22 to 29. The wine basing of alcohol is a definate plus.

P.S. Any other HGer's that would like to let me know of their products pls PM me!

Don't be Bashful! :wave:

Edited by louchefabrik, 07 March 2004 - 08:36 AM.

The man let the water trickle gently into his glass and as the green clouded, a mist fell from his mind. Then, he drank opaline.

#21 jaded prol

jaded prol

communiste moustachu qui boit la vie luxuriante

• Jockeys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,314 posts
  • Interests:The sensual and the essential

Posted 07 March 2004 - 03:27 PM

I'm still perfecting mine and trying to build up stock - but it ain't easy 'cause I'm always drinking it . . . :stager:

I wouldn't mind trading a little once I'm stocked up with properly aged stuff however (and of course paying due tribute to da mayah).
Drinking for medicinal reasons.

You may say I'm a drinker
but I'm not the only one.

#22 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Misunderstood Pimp

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 10:25 AM

31 is now flying...

#23 lambchop

lambchop

Lulu

• Forum Icon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • Interests:Bourbon&lt;br&gt;Bed-making (you make your own)&lt;br&gt;Row-hoeing (you hoe your own)&lt;br&gt;Grave-digging (you dig your own)&lt;br&gt;Absinthe, of course

Posted 08 March 2004 - 10:29 AM

:asta:
domo arigato

(mister roboto)

#24 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Misunderstood Pimp

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 05:19 PM

Jade- the only REAL Burnt™ absinthed : this is like trying to build up a wine cellar. Someone have to be able to supply at least twice as much as he drink, it gets expensive very fast.

I gave up the wine cellar idea but the absinthe reserve is slowly growing, mostly because I drink a lot less absinthe than before. Of course this sober situation will probably not last very long when summer heat will make me thirsty again..

#25 Raindog

Raindog

Moisture Mutt

• Jockeys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts
  • Interests:Drinking, Hiking, Drinking, Mountainbiking, Drinking, Motorcycling, Drinking

Posted 08 March 2004 - 05:25 PM

I blame the heat too, that and my propensity of being a drunkard.

Everybody row

#26 jaded prol

jaded prol

communiste moustachu qui boit la vie luxuriante

• Jockeys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,314 posts
  • Interests:The sensual and the essential

Posted 08 March 2004 - 07:19 PM

Gee, I was blaming the cold (I forgot about the heat).

I could probably stock up if I was only slightly more obsessed but I do other things and I work full time. It all gets in the way of production. It's enough to drive you to drink! :wave:
Drinking for medicinal reasons.

You may say I'm a drinker
but I'm not the only one.

#27 lambchop

lambchop

Lulu

• Forum Icon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • Interests:Bourbon&lt;br&gt;Bed-making (you make your own)&lt;br&gt;Row-hoeing (you hoe your own)&lt;br&gt;Grave-digging (you dig your own)&lt;br&gt;Absinthe, of course

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:17 AM

I just blame the booze itself.
Cuts out the middleman.
domo arigato

(mister roboto)

#28 Guest_Louched Liver_*

Guest_Louched Liver_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2004 - 09:51 AM

But, booze is my oldest friend!

#29 lambchop

lambchop

Lulu

• Forum Icon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:06 AM

Gimpy is my oldest friend.
domo arigato

(mister roboto)

#30 Off. Jack Batemaster

Off. Jack Batemaster

Punis Semaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,644 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:15 AM

Me too!

Where the fuck is ATown?

#31 Raindog

Raindog

Moisture Mutt

• Jockeys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts
  • Interests:Drinking, Hiking, Drinking, Mountainbiking, Drinking, Motorcycling, Drinking

Posted 10 March 2004 - 06:35 PM

Gimpy's the coolest catfish in Tennessee :BL:

Everybody row

#32 lambchop

lambchop

Lulu

• Forum Icon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 06:58 AM

"The catfish is a plenty good enough fish for anyone"
- Mark Twain

Attached Files

domo arigato

(mister roboto)

#33 CelticGent

CelticGent

Bigly, ugly, lugly.

• Forum Icon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,175 posts
  • Interests:Masturbation and crochet.

Posted 11 March 2004 - 07:35 AM

that's a big fish you got there doc
the fresh maker

#34 DGLeadbetter

DGLeadbetter

Xit Slinger

• Forum Icon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts
  • Interests:Absinthe, cigars, film, drumming, music, horror .... the list goes on and on.

Posted 11 March 2004 - 07:51 AM

Holy Crap! think of the catfish Po Boy you could make with that thing!

DG

#35 Bumpferret

Bumpferret

King of the no-shows

• Core Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Interests:The letter Q (upper case, not in pink). Not much else.

Posted 11 March 2004 - 07:50 PM

My ferret tail is bristling with antici

pation.
They smelt of pubs and wormwood scrubs
I don't get 'hints'
0:1:1:2:3:5:8:13:21

#36 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Misunderstood Pimp

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 08:23 PM

I retasted #29 last night and found out it's quite yummy with a double dose of sugar and an extra part of water... That comment applys to most recent batches.

#37 DGLeadbetter

DGLeadbetter

Xit Slinger

• Forum Icon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts
  • Interests:Absinthe, cigars, film, drumming, music, horror .... the list goes on and on.

Posted 16 March 2004 - 08:27 PM

....pation.

DG

#38 pierreverte

pierreverte

Papa Pee Vee

• Jockeys
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 03:29 AM

>I retasted #29 last night and found out it's quite yummy with a double dose of sugar and an extra part of water... That comment applys to most recent batches.

if anyone ever said this about certain commercial absinthes, they'd be laughed out of this place...

Edited by pierreverte, 17 March 2004 - 03:30 AM.

Too cloying and obvious. ™

"It's just the fuckin' Internet.
And, more importantly, it's just the fuckin' Lounge."
-The Mayor

#39 sixela

sixela

The Awful Waffle

• Forom Eykun
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts
    Corto Maltese
    Molecular Modeling

Posted 17 March 2004 - 04:46 AM

if anyone ever said this about certain commercial absinthes, they'd be laughed out of this place...

Heck, I´d laugh at it if I didn´t actually agree - at least as far as the #30 is concerned, it can actually stand a higher dilution than UE, and it´s better with a modicum of sugar.

Though I´d agree that latter characteristic is probably due to the rather special grassy taste probably caused by the colouration that can be detected with very little sugar, and its slight lack of roundness without sugar (though it´s less harsh than, say, regular UE68 Blanche by miles).

UE68 Verte can be had with less sugar, but tastes like dishwater at 4.5:1.

#40 pierreverte

pierreverte

Papa Pee Vee

• Jockeys
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 05:07 AM

i never stated any commercial absinthe in specific, nor am i comparing.
it is already clear on this forum that to compare any commercial with MM or other HG's is fightin' words...
i find the statement amusing and that many mediocre absinthes (commercial or not) would taste better, maybe even yummy, if one doubled up the amount of sugar added to it.
Too cloying and obvious. ™

"It's just the fuckin' Internet.
And, more importantly, it's just the fuckin' Lounge."
-The Mayor

#41 DGLeadbetter

DGLeadbetter

Xit Slinger

• Forum Icon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 06:51 AM

Some of the commercial absinthe I've had would taste better if you added sugar and water, and left out the absinthe.

DG

#42 DrinkSlinger

DrinkSlinger

Stupid Dumb Dinky

• Admin
  • -8,383,683 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 07:40 AM

I'd have to say that the fudgeroll tastes on par to a few HG's I've tasted. This is a complement (Ironic how the LDF offering we picked apart for being a "mix" is arguably the tastiest offering).

(I've also tasted a few HG's that were on par with bilgewater).

Once again, HG is not synonomous with quality. It's a common agreement that the upper eschelon of HG'ers make a vastly superior blend than any commercial vendor. But you can't just order up a bottle w/ a few keystrokes.

How do you know we weren't laughing? :blink:

#43 Guest_Louched Liver_*

Guest_Louched Liver_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2004 - 07:45 AM

PaPa,
Check out Wolf's handle. We're used to
him.

#44 Porkio

Porkio

Lounge Lizard

• Jockeys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 08:07 AM

i find the statement amusing that many mediocre absinthes (commercial or not) would taste better, maybe even yummy, if one doubled up the amount of sugar added to it.

As do I.
Generally the better the commercial & HG, the less likely I am inclined to use sugar. I wouldn't dare use sugar w/ any BaMa, Swizzlé, Pignon or several other HGs (and also including Fou-juice) because the flavours are already balanced quite well and don't need any further sweetening or masking.

Same reason why people drink black coffee. Only coffee I ever put sugar in is Starbucks, because they over-roast their beans and it tastes like merde without sugar.

Edited by Porkio, 17 March 2004 - 08:08 AM.

#45 sixela

sixela

The Awful Waffle

• Forom Eykun
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts
    Corto Maltese
    Molecular Modeling

Posted 17 March 2004 - 08:29 AM

i find the statement amusing and that many mediocre absinthes (commercial or not) would taste better, maybe even yummy, if one doubled up the amount of sugar added to it.

Well, Wolfie was talking about one particular absinthe, wasn't he, not about absinthes in general? And I don't think you could ever accuse Wolfgang of finding MM mediocre :shitter:.

There are probably not many defects that can be somewhat cured with a little sugar - I was surprised it myself in this particular instance, and I only discovered it because I tend to drink my first glass of any new absinthe unsugared (just because I'm curious about the flavour profile and don't want sugar to get in the way) but otherwise use a little sugar.

We're only talking about a mild idiosyncracy, BTW, not a flaw sticking out like a sore thumb.

I think even Staro might be cured by liberal sprinkling of sugar -- at about a 100:1 ratio of sugar to Staro ;). The problem is that I'm not so fond of pure sugar either.

#46 sixela

sixela

The Awful Waffle

• Forom Eykun
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts
    Corto Maltese
    Molecular Modeling

Posted 17 March 2004 - 08:34 AM

[I wouldn't dare use sugar w/ any BaMa, Swizzlé, Pignon or several other HGs

:shitter: (can't comment on the BaMa, but replace it with Nemesinthe and the statement still holds) .

Well, to be honest, I indulge in a symbolic amount of sugar (1/4th of a Tirlemont cube) just because it's fun to watch it dissolve it over one of Frenchman's spoons.

#47 DrinkSlinger

DrinkSlinger

Stupid Dumb Dinky

• Admin
  • -8,383,683 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 08:37 AM

Oh no, not the sugar debate again.

For the record. I dislike sweet things. I don't like deserts, I don't put sugar in my coffee, and I rarely eat anything candy like. BUT, when it comes to absinthe, sugar is almost always necessary. It rounds out the texture and adds dimension.

I LIKE SUGAR IN MY ABSINTHE!

#48 sixela

sixela

The Awful Waffle

• Forom Eykun
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts
    Corto Maltese
    Molecular Modeling

Posted 17 March 2004 - 08:50 AM

I don't like deserts,

DON'T SAY THAT! I mean -- Abby is already miswired, so you'll never know how she'll react to that!

#49 Off. Jack Batemaster

Off. Jack Batemaster

Punis Semaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,644 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:23 AM

I always use sugar. I used sugar when I drank Versinthe La Blanche.

Where the fuck is ATown?

#50 Rimbaud

Rimbaud

Clown ear, or mere buggery? That is the question!

• Jockeys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,319 posts
  • Interests:Spanning time.<br /><br />Designing shit.

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:35 AM

As Verlaine used to say..."I take sugar with it!"

There's sometimes a buggy.

#51 Off. Jack Batemaster

Off. Jack Batemaster

Punis Semaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,644 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:41 AM

I drink my sugar with Absinthe and water.

Where the fuck is ATown?

#52 lambchop

lambchop

Lulu

• Forum Icon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 09:42 AM

:shitter:
Oh well.
No sugar for me.
Not ever.
Hurts my teeth.
domo arigato

(mister roboto)

#53 Crosby

Crosby

Benevolent Despot

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,534 posts
  • Interests:Not interested.

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:02 AM

Heck, I´d laugh at it if I didn´t actually agree - at least as far as the #30 is concerned, it can actually stand a higher dilution than UE, and it´s better with a modicum of sugar.

Though I´d agree that latter characteristic is probably due to the rather special grassy taste probably caused by the colouration that can be detected with very little sugar, and its slight lack of roundness without sugar (though it´s less harsh than, say, regular UE68 Blanche by miles).

UE68 Verte can be had with less sugar, but tastes like dishwater at 4.5:1.

Sixer is quoting the post above his again. And he can’t argue he was only quoting the relevant part, the rest of PV’s post was a quote. :ROLL:
C'est ma santé

“Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.”

#54 DrinkSlinger

DrinkSlinger

Stupid Dumb Dinky

• Admin
  • -8,383,683 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:03 AM

Bad Sixer!
:NONO:

:ROLL:

#55 sixela

sixela

The Awful Waffle

• Forom Eykun
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts
    Corto Maltese
    Molecular Modeling

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:18 AM

Sixer is quoting the post above his again.

Nope. I was quoting the original PV post, which Porkio also happened to quote (with, I might say, one less line of whitespace, if you need evidence of the independent derivation).

I hadn't even begun to read the rest of the thread, so I couldn't possibly have noticed Porkio's post.
:ROLL:

Oh -- and DS: thanks for inserting that post to allow me to quote Cros :NONO:.

Edited by sixela, 17 March 2004 - 10:23 AM.

#56 Crosby

Crosby

Benevolent Despot

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,534 posts
  • Interests:Not interested.

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:28 AM

:ROLL: I’m tempted to suspend you for making my eyes bleed. :NONO:
C'est ma santé

“Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.”

#57 louchefabrik

louchefabrik

The Fabrick of our Lives

• Jockeys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Location:The Hogtown Compound on Landlocked Key,FL, in the Land of the Lemmings
  • Interests:Finding a good,authentic traditional style Absinthe. Love trying as many HG's as my wallet will let me. Anyone with HG's out there, shoot me a PM. Collecting antique absintheware.

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:53 AM

:ROLL: I’m tempted to suspend you for making my eyes bleed. :NONO:

I see, that means, from your avatar; your either a real blue blood or your eyeshadow is a bit too heavily put on! :ona:
The man let the water trickle gently into his glass and as the green clouded, a mist fell from his mind. Then, he drank opaline.

#58 Justin

Justin

Chute Head

• Jockeys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  • Interests:Skydiving, computers, homebrewing, drinking, etc.

Posted 17 March 2004 - 11:32 AM

Run! Run for your lives! The whoopass is coming!

#59 lambchop

lambchop

Lulu

• Forum Icon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 12:24 PM

Attached Files

domo arigato

(mister roboto)

#60 Justin

Justin

Chute Head

• Jockeys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  • Interests:Skydiving, computers, homebrewing, drinking, etc.

Posted 17 March 2004 - 12:39 PM

Ever had it?

#61 A.B. Normal

A.B. Normal

Auntie Walter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,111 posts
  • Interests:Trying to get home

Posted 17 March 2004 - 04:17 PM

Back on topic, sort of (sorry),
the #31 landed here today.
Something green hitting my porch today seems appropriate.
There's just too much time to kill between all my mistakes.

#62 DGLeadbetter

DGLeadbetter

Xit Slinger

• Forum Icon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 05:03 PM

I remember being 31 .....

DG

#63 Off. Jack Batemaster

Off. Jack Batemaster

Punis Semaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,644 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 05:16 PM

I'm still 31, but I look 45.

Where the fuck is ATown?

#64 DGLeadbetter

DGLeadbetter

Xit Slinger

• Forum Icon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 06:05 PM

I'm 44, feel like I'm 80 and act like I'm 12.

DG

#65 A.B. Normal

A.B. Normal

Auntie Walter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,111 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 06:17 PM

I have no idea how old I look but I know I don't feel as old as I am.

#66 Gertz

Gertz

Sqertz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 07:25 PM

I look 45.

Not according to the Wormwood Society pic.

#67 balzdeep

balzdeep

"But ya fook one goat..."

• Forum Icon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts
  • Interests:Throwing dirt-clods and small rocks at those less-fortunate than myself. That and belly dancing.

Posted 17 March 2004 - 08:24 PM

Don't know if I look or feel my age or age as well as I look or feel as looked as I age, but any which way you look at it, it ain't pretty!
Yup, the last time I was there it was an early night. That was over half a decade ago, and I am now living a mile higher than most of you fucks. I WILL OUTLAST YOU ALL!!!

#68 Guest_Louched Liver_*

Guest_Louched Liver_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2004 - 09:17 AM

Ha!

#69 Masque

Masque

SKEEEETTTAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts
  • Interests:I'm neither interested or interesting. But if you are interested... Hell, I don't even know who is single anymore.

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:09 AM

About sugar... hey, whatever works. I like my absinthe strong and sticky, like Swizzle' Rouge at 3.5-1 with a large perruche lump. :2xv:

What should we do for the future? Oh, I don't know. Drive around, have fun, a few kids and we can figure out the future after HOLY SHIT I'M 38 YEARS OLD 

#70 TheGreenOne

TheGreenOne

The VerteScum

• Jockeys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,704 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 12:40 PM

Sugar, ah honey honey
You are my candy girl
And you've got me wanting you.
Honey, ah sugar sugar
You are my candy girl
And you've got me wanting you.

-- The Archies

shuck and jive is an important skill

I cannot play music on an infinite keyboard.

#71 lambchop

lambchop

Lulu

• Forum Icon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 01:00 PM

:NONO:
domo arigato

(mister roboto)

#72 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Misunderstood Pimp

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 07:41 PM

Ha! drink it as you prefer, I was just stating my personal preference at the moment (which may change from day to day), why make such a big deal about such a little detail ?!

It's funny how much reactions I can get just by saying "I like it with more sugar" !

#73 A.B. Normal

A.B. Normal

Auntie Walter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,111 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 09:23 PM

I drink them all with one sugar.
Although it's really more like 2/3 because I just use the regular boring standard issue sugar cubes and they don't dissolve fully.

#74 sixela

sixela

The Awful Waffle

• Forom Eykun
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts
    Corto Maltese
    Molecular Modeling

Posted 19 March 2004 - 04:37 AM

Back on topic, sort of (sorry),
the #31 landed here today.
Something green hitting my porch today seems appropriate.

Something clear just hit my porch today -- Larmes De Lunes #1, rumoured to be based on the #24/25 recipe.

Almost tastes like a cross of Félix and Swizzlé - definitely very scrumptious, and just idiosyncratic enough to be very, very interesting (am I wrong, or do I taste some lavender and citrus peel?).

I have, of course, changed my signature.

I doubt anyone is going to be that interested in a sample from this remote location on earth, though, given the tons shipped from the Moon (wasn't this four batches mixed and all bottled at the same time?).

Curious to see reviews of more knowledgeable Sires.

#75 Guest_Louched Liver_*

Guest_Louched Liver_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2004 - 07:51 AM

:hit:

#76 Wolfgang

Wolfgang

Misunderstood Pimp

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 08:59 AM

LDL1 was a double batch. Same quantity of "boxes" left the door but most bottles where king size ;-).

Edited by Wolfgang, 19 March 2004 - 09:00 AM.

#77 TheGreenOne

TheGreenOne

The VerteScum

• Jockeys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,704 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 11:51 AM

I can't wait for it to arrive. Actually, that is not true. I will wait. Hopefully not too long.

#78 A.B. Normal

A.B. Normal

Auntie Walter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,111 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 11:54 AM

I have a wee sample.
Poor little guy won't make it through the night.

#79 TheGreenOne

TheGreenOne

The VerteScum

• Jockeys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,704 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 01:25 PM

Just as well. Its no good unless you enjoy it. With luck, you can obtain a bigger sample.

#80 DGLeadbetter

DGLeadbetter

Xit Slinger

• Forum Icon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 11:09 AM

I'm sure there will be more than enough goodies to sample in April.

DG

#81 sixela

sixela

The Awful Waffle

• Forom Eykun
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts
    Corto Maltese
    Molecular Modeling

Posted 20 March 2004 - 12:16 PM

:BL:

'bout the sig, you mean? I'm sure that you don't want me to expand on *that*.

#82 DGLeadbetter

DGLeadbetter

Xit Slinger

• Forum Icon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 12:32 PM

I'd like to know, please.

DG

#83 sixela

sixela

The Awful Waffle

• Forom Eykun
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts
    Corto Maltese
    Molecular Modeling

Posted 20 March 2004 - 01:19 PM

I've sent you a PM. If you want to spare others the pain, just mention you've read it and post a :clanks:.

#84 DGLeadbetter

DGLeadbetter

Xit Slinger

• Forum Icon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 01:27 PM

Wasn't that bad at all ....

DG

#85 sixela

sixela

The Awful Waffle

• Forom Eykun
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts
    Corto Maltese
    Molecular Modeling

Posted 20 March 2004 - 02:41 PM

Let's just say opinion is divided on the subject - and almost the way it is on the subject of the need for a crew to man a ship in a certain Black Adder episode.

#86 DGLeadbetter

DGLeadbetter

Xit Slinger

• Forum Icon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 05:54 PM

Wow waffle .... you have a very broad reference base.

DG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users